Friday, September 11, 2009

47 Days

Today isn't necessarily about baby things. Tonight Danny and I are having something for the young people called PDF Night (stands for - prayer, discussion, fellowship) in an effort to encourage their spiritual journey and group harmony. The prayer and fellowship parts don't really involve planning as they happen organically however, we needed to come up with a discussion. Danny has been extrememly busy with work and trying to do things around the house (isn't it amazing how you buy a brand new house thinking it won't need work because it's new and you find yourself fixing things constantly) so I offered to come up with a discussion. I had something that I felt would be appropriate however, in my devotion this morning the Lord gave me something that I wouldn't necessarily have chosen but makes sense.

We are like lab rats...going through the motions, generally for someone else's gain. Sure, we as humans work to make the money, but the work itself isn't necessarily beneficial to us, it puts stress and strain on our lives. Because of how mundane it becomes, it's easy to grow weak. It is common sense that when you are weak it's very easy for things to come against you and even take you down. Ephesians 6:10-13 is a lovely passage that many of us know and think, "Oh yeah! We're going to fight the devil!", when in reality it's not about fighting, it's about preparing. We all deal with the evils of this world and when we're weak, we can not adequately stand up to it. Being strong in the Lord, putting on the WHOLE armour of God, that is what keeps us and what prepares us. So whether it's just another situation or a real battle, we are prepared for victory!

God is so good! I am drawing closer every day and it's so exciting as He reveals things to me. Things that I understood differently because of my own self, but He has shown me its intent and its purpose. I want to live a life of purpose, not just going to through the motions! There is a wonderful song by Matthew West called "The Motions" that talks just about this very thing which in turn, relates to the passage of scripture that the Lord gave me this morning...

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

No comments:

Post a Comment